Waikato Sports Awards
WILSS Waikato Sports Awards, are entry-level courses designed to provide essential skills and knowledge to these ‘willing workers’.
What & when
Award programmes are run on demand to suit individual needs.
Covers the ‘how to’ tools of coaching.
The umpiring award focuses on practical deliveries including:
- communication skills.
- how to be assertive.
- injury management.
- dealing with sideline behaviour.
- understanding sport rules and regulations.
For the first time administrator a course covering the basics:
- communicate and administrate.
- participate in meetings.
- writing reports and minutes.
- managing administration systems.
Future pathways for graduates
The WILSS Waikato Sports Awards can lead to:
- ongoing study through the National Certificate in Sport Coaching or Sport Administration.
"The Waikato Sport Award coaching course was great. It was awesome to participate in such a fun and informative course while gaining unit standard credits and working towards a qualification. I learned better communication strategies, how to value individual players and how to play games that were fun and interesting at practices. I’m sure my players appreciate the difference in our practice sessions and in my overall approach to the team."
Kirsty Barkle, COACH of VARDON STRIKERS