PALs Programme (Physical Activity Leaders) - Caters for primary and intermediate students Years 5-8 and gives participants the chance to develop leadership skills, design and plan their own physical activity sessions, be excellent role models to other students and have fun. Students will look at leadership, managing an event and how to run lunchtime activities.
Physical Activity Leaders is an adaptable programme which should be designed to suit the needs of the students. Being a PAL gives the students within the school an opportunity to be seen in a leadership role.
Some noticed benefits of running the Physical Activity Leaders programme include:
- Students developing personal leadership skills.
- Students have an opportunity to accept more responsibility, appreciation, and respect from teachers and students.
- Students gain a sense of satisfaction for helping the enjoyment of others while working towards a happier, healthier, more physically active life!
- Provides a great teaching and learning opportunity in leadership, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
Examples of PALs in action within schools:
- Running lunchtime games and activities.
- Being responsible for and involved in the planning of school community sports and recreation events.
- Running activity events to promote what PALs do.
- Setting up teacher versus student challenges.
- Creating a buddy up system with junior students.
The opportunities are limitless!